Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Terrible Mom Tuesday ...

Okay, so let's start with the subject of solid (baby) foods.  They are NOT my favorite.  Why?  Because my child is a gagger.  If he doesn't like something?  He gags.  If it's a new flavor he's not used to?  He gags.  If he REALLY wants you to know he doesn't like it, he full on throws up.  Followed by dry heaving/gagging.  Lovely.  And this is a LITTLE frightening for a momma who already worries/freaks out/has panic attacks about any little thing that doesn't seem like the norm.  Another thing he didn't like (at first, but this was because he was 5 months old and not really comfortable sitting up yet) was the highchair.  Like full on screamed, bowed his back and went into what I like to call "plank pose".  SO, for this reason we fed him for a few months in his bouncy seat.  This weekend I finally decided that it was time to upgrade to his highchair, otherwise he'd be seven years old and we'd be dragging his bouncy seat into restaurants, putting it in the booth and feeding him chips and salsa.  It started out fine but then when it came time to eat the plank poses/noises only dogs could hear started to come.  So, I did what any other mom would do with no other options left - dragged his highchair in front of the TV, turned on a recorded episode of Wonder Pets and distraction fed as FAST as I could.  And hallelujah (angels singing).  No gagging.  No dry heaving.  No choking.  Actually completely the opposite, he ate EVERYTHING.  Both his veggie and his fruit.  And even opened his mouth wide like a baby bird in a nest waiting on his momma to bring him food.  Praise the Lord!  There you have it.  Proof we have a dramatic child.  I don't know WHERE he could've gotten that from ... (crickets chirping ...)

This brings me to the title of this post.  Terrible mom.  I'm officially the worst mom ever.  I feed him in front of the TV.  But you know what?  You do what you have to to get the job done.  And what's gonna work?  "TEAM WORK!" (if you don't feed your child in front of Wonder Pets, you won't get that)  Oh, another thing he does that I forgot to mention that is SUPER cute when his mouth isn't full of bananas, carrots or cereal ...


Yup.  Blow raspberries.  Which, like I said, is SO cute (and MIGHT be encouraged a LOT) when his mouth isn't full of food.  When it is?  Momma gets an unplanned baby food bath.  Gross.  Oh and yes, that's a towel bungee corded to the back of the chair.  It's the Mister's solution to the fact that every time we'd put C in his highchair and he went into plank pose he'd slam his head into that slat on the back of the chair which, as you can imagine, does NOT help in getting him to want to stay in his highchair.  So a big thank you to daddy for figuring that out by bein' all manly n' stuff.  He wanted to use duct tape (insert man grunt here) instead of the bungee cord but I veto'ed that in about 5.2 seconds. 

On another gagging note, did anyone see the Bachelorette last night?  Don't you KNOW Ashley HAS (I think I capitalize and use italics too much ...) to be cringing every time she watches herself make these RIDICULOUS comments regarding Bentley and her "being in a dark place" or him "being the one".  Ugh, I know I was.  Gag me with a spoon.  Yes, I just said that.  It's hard for me to have any sympathy for the girl when she was warned.  And now, I will stop talking about her like I know her or like this is important.  I can FEEL the Mister's eyes rolling out of his head.

Happy Tuesday y'all!

7 comments:

  1. Haha you do what you got to do to get your baby to eat. If it works I say go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the opposite of a terrible mom!
    You got your baby fed right? That's success. NO matter how it came about....

    ....now that Ashley is terrible. She looks like a straight up fool with questionable self esteem and bad judgment. She's going to feel like a complete idiot as she watches these episodes air. Poor thing. PS why the heck did they pick ashley?! I was hoping for chantal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe you do what you have to to get them to eat! he is to cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do what you have to when it comes to solids time! The raspberries/food bath I know all about them and I personally think peas are the worst haha (since I'm not a big fan). The picture is too cute and the towel idea is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh I can't stand wonder pets! now i have that song stuck in my head :)
    You are NOT a terrible mom! many ppl are uptight about letting kids watch tv but it's not like that's all he does all day long and you're letting him watch cinnemax or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stress whenever my son gags or does anything that might indicate he is sick!! He is such a cutie. Love the picture! ANd Ashley....that girl needs to get a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though he might gag food, that is the cutest expression on his face!!!

    ReplyDelete