Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Heartbroken ...

Morning girls.  I have to warn you I'm not going to be my normal, cheery self today and my bumpdates are going to have to be moved to tomorrow.  The reason being that yesterday, around 3:30 while I was at my mom's house she received a phone call that my grandma's (mama that I always talk about and that just went with us on the trip to MI) barn that is located next to her home was on fire.  One of the worst parts of the story is, there were horses trapped inside.  You all know what an animal lover I am.  And upon hearing this I lost it.  And continued to lose it the rest of the day on into the night going to sleep with a head ache from crying.  There were 3 that were able to get out, but they estimate that there were 12 more inside.  The owners had locks on their stalls so even if someone was there (which they weren't) to try and help get them out, it would've been to no avail.  They have confirmed 4 dead as of today.  Here is a picture of what was left, courtesy of planostar.com.




I grew up playing in this barn.  My cousins and I used to play hide and seek, we had kittens (barn kittens) that we named and claimed as ours and I had many a birthday party here growing up that included horseback rides and hayrides.  My grandpa (who is no longer with us) spent day and night here and loved it dearly.  My mama and her house are fine, however she is as emotional as would be expected and pretty shaken up.  I would appreciate all of your prayers for her and the owners of the horses that were lost as well as for me as this is hitting me pretty hard emotionally.  I literally can't stop thinking about those poor, sweet babies.  I keep telling myself "If ONLY I had been there when it started, I could've called the fire department sooner and gotten them out!" which I know is ridiculous but I can't stop thinking about what they went through.  My mama was lucky to have a good samaratian see the smoke and knock on her door to alert her that it was on fire.  They then called the fire dept. and the woman waited with mama, brought her water and made sure she was okay along with calling my mom to alert her of what was going on.

Thank you all in advance for your prayers.  I promise I'll be back to cheery Katie soon, but as for now my heart is hurting for mama, the innocent horses and the owners that lost them. 

37 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh sweetie...I'm so sorry! That is absolutely horrible! I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! I am so sorry-my mother and father-in-laws house burnt down just a few days before Christmas and their border collie was inside...we grieved and grieved. Its just a terrible thing to go through. I will say a prayer for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is broken too! Those poor horses, those poor owners, your poor mama! :( My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've already been discussing this since last night, but my heart hurts for your Mama and these innocent horses. My biggest fear is being burned alive. I can't imagine the fear they (the horses) were going through :(

    Many prayers for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I'm so sorry! In my prayers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear this.. :( My heart broke for her. Thoughts and Prayers are with your loved ones through this terribly sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry! I will def be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so sorry to hear about this - my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Katie, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Yall will all be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh goodness! that is so upsetting. sending out prayers to you and your family from Virginia! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about this - it's heartbreaking. Don't punish yourself for not being there - what will be will be!
    My thoughts are with you and your family and of course the poor horses who didn't make it - so tragic.
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. This hurts my heart. Those poor horses didn't even have a chance to get out. I don't even want to think of what they went through...

    Praying for you and your family, as well as the horse owners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8/11/2010

    OMG I'm so sorry to hear this! That is so terrible. I hear about things like that all the time. I couldn't imagine what those poor animals were going through. I'll be thinking about you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweetheart =( this is terrible, I would have cried all day too...

    Do you see the rainbow in the picture though? I think it's a sign from those sweet horsies that they weren't in too much pain. They're probably up in heaven running to their hearts content all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry. I know what you are going through - earlier this year our families barn burned as well. It's devastating.

    I'm so sorry for those who lost the horses as well, how hard that will be.

    keeping you, your family, the horses and their owners in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even imagine how scared they must have been. This is just so awful...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This brought tears to my eyes. I love animals too and that is just so so sad!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh no Im so sorry!! That is so sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness I am in tears. What a horrible time for those horses and the owners. I could not imagine that. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so so sorry to hear about your grandmom's barn! That is just terrible. It breaks my heart that there were horses inside because I'm an animal lover too :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. So awful!! My prayers are with your family! I'm always paranoid about leaving my straightener plugged up or the dishwasher running when I leave the house. I'm not worried so much about the house, but my sweet furbabies that would be trapped inside. I can't imagine what it'll be like when we have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that's awful!! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is terrible! absolutely heartbreaking. I'm so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, your mama and anyone affected by the fire. Poor things! :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is terrible!! I am so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with your family and those who lost the horsies!! I am saying extra prayers for your mama as well! I can't imagine what she is going through

    love ya
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh know Katie!! That is so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you all right now!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh gosh girl...I'm so sorry! I'll definitely keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so sorry that's so sad I hope everything will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sweet friend! THat is my WORST fear whenever I say goodbye to Gus Gus and leave the house. . . I am so sorry and will pray for you, your grandmother and the owner's of the horses. .. BUT rejoice in the knowledge of 2 Kings 2:11-12 . . . a CHARIOT AND HORSES took Elijah up to heaven. . . which proves to me that there are animals in Heaven! :-) How could there not be?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so so so sad for your family and those horsies. I am worlds worst blogreader of all time and I did see this on FB but didn't get to comment. I have been so busy that I haven't been following your blog and I deserve a slap across the head. PS saw your baby bump pics too and you are so perfect and so precious I want to look just like you when I am PG!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh no, Im so sorry to hear this!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I'm so sorry Katie. My heart is with you and your mama right now...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness.. I am so sorry to hear about this!! Prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh katie, so sorry you're going through this. I hope mama is okay. what a sad heartwrenching story. those poor lil guys. I'm so grateful a few got out. Ugh...this is so sad.
    SO SO Sorry about this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How awful! I'm so sorry to hear this horrible news!

    ReplyDelete