Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ramblings On A Thursday ...

TGIAF (Thank God it's Almost Friday) Seriously.  Isn't that the truth?  Okay, first off.  Tuesday night my mom invited me, my Silly, my Mama (it's pronounced Mamaw and I usually type it that way so people don't think I mean Momma, but really it's spelled Mama so that's how it's gettin' spelled!) and my Aunt Kathy to a Bingo, shopping, cocktail night at Stonebriar, their Country Club.  Let's stop for a second.  Has anyone ever wondered why the heck they call it a Country Club?  I mean it is far from County that's for dang sure.  It should be called a Costly Club.  Everyone knows it's expensive to be in one and it's expensive to participate in one.  If it REALLY was a "Country" Club, the people would dress in flannel, not Chanel, they would have beer pong parties, not cocktail parties, and the activites would include hunting and Nascar not golfing and tennis.  And the yearly dues would be paid in livestock, i.e. one pig/cow/chicken/horse for one year of membership.  Anyhow, sorry, side note.  Back to the fun cocktail, shopping, Bingo girl's night.  We had 5 girls at our table, which means 5 different Bingo cards, 2 to 3 raffle tickets each for the raffles and we didn't win a dang thing!  What are the odds!?!?!  I THOUGHT pretty good but apparently not.  I did get some really cute stuff (a couple of rings, a scarf and a cute bracelet) and my Silly and I took a cute picture in the boas we were given for buying the unlucky raffle tickets.  We did have a blast, even though we didn't win.  Don't worry.  I'm not bitter.


In other news, I have a new goal, or milestone I guess you might say ... if you know me at all, you know that I have had acrylic nails pretty much since I was a freshman at Baylor.  My issue is, if I don't have them, I chew, pick, bite, the CRAP out of my cuticles.  I mean it's bad.  It looks like I've stuck the tips of my fingers in acid and burnt the skin off of my cuticles.  If I DO have them, well, then I can't do this.  Oh believe me.  I've tried.  Something about the acrylics, whether it's the thickness I don't know, keeps me from devouring my fingers.  Well, I've decided I'm going to take the dang things off and TRY not to ravage my cuticles.  They are expensive, it's time consuming to go get them filled and on top of that I've got to believe that my nail beds are a LITTLE happier without being choked and smothered to death and having some air to breathe.  The PROBLEM is, most of the time I have no idea I'm chewing the business out of them!  I will sit through a whole movie and then look down at my hands after and think "Who ate all my cuticles!?!?  Let me at 'em, where are they?!?!"  And yes, it is yours truely that's at fault, no one did, in fact, grab my hand and chew off my cuticles during the movie without me knowing.  But that could've completely happened for all I know due to the fact that I'm a unknowning cuticle wrecker.  SO here are my "healthy" (as much as they can be after ripping off acrylics, yes I did it with my teeth, another thing for them to notice when I get my FIVE cavities filled ... dangit) nails and cuticles.  Let's see how long they stay in tact (notice on my thumb, the cuticle gnome has already gotten to that one a bit ... dadgumit this is going to be harder than I thought ...)  I will keep you updated on how my progress (or lack thereof) is going ...


Lastly, does anyone's calender already look like this ...


The 5th day in November and it's already getting filled up?  Mostly this excites me because it's a lot of fun stuff, but at the same time, sometimes it overwhelms me because I know I have a lot to do for each of these things.  Let's all make sure we don't get so overwhelmed this holiday season that we miss the blessings and the joy that each one brings.  Take time to tell God you are thankful.  Thankful for family, thankful for friends, thankful you have the means to do all these things that keep you so busy.  Then all the sudden you are overwhelmed with joy and gratitude instead of stress and busyness.  Happy Holiday time everyone, soak it up, they DO only come once a year you know!!!

1 comment:

  1. Katie - when I FINALLY stopped biting my nails, I fell in LOVE with them! Once you crack the habit you will love them. It just takes alot of will power. I first bought clear stuff to paint on my nails that tasted bad. That helped alot!

    ReplyDelete