Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Are You A Spinner?

Let me start by saying I don't even know what that means.  I THINK it might be something inappropriate, but I'm not sure.  Maybe I should google this stuff before I post it as a title for my blog ...

Yeah.
Don't google that.
It's definately inappropriate.
Sorry 'bout that.

Let's just go on to say that by "Are You A Spinner?" I was referring to spin cycling class.  Because I KIND OF am.  Since I go to maybe 1-3 spin classes a month, on a good month.  So since I kind of am I can say what I'm about to say with full confidence.

Spinners are WEIRD.

Last Saturday I went to a spin class.  Upon starting the class I looked around and thought, "Okay, this is a pretty normal looking group.  Maybe the circus spinner freaks are still asleep."  I got on my bike and began to warm up.  No freakiness had reared it's ugly head yet so I figured we were still in the clear.  And then the techno started. 

"Oh heavens, I'm going to have to go through a whole class feeling like I need a glow stick." 

About 3 minutes in and our tiny instructor starts making this noise.  I can only assume it's her "encouragement noise" but it sounded exactly like the sound a police car makes when a policeman flicks his warning siren on.

"Oh fun, now I need a glow stick AND a police uniform."

About the time I finally get used to The Siren (that's what we'll call her from now on) a man walks in late and sits on a bike in front of The Siren.  She seems to know him so I immediately assume he'll be making some other rescue vehicle noise.  But was I ever wrong.

All of the sudden, after one of The Siren's hoots he lets out what I can only describe as the sound someone makes when they do a karate chop mixed with the "OohRah" sound a Marine yells. 

"Fantastic, now I need a glow stick, a police uniform and ... heck I just need ear muffs for all three of them."

Once Sergeant Miyagi (that's what we'll call him) started he pretty much kept in time with The Siren.  From the minute this chorus of annoyance started it literally lasted until I jumped my sweaty self off my bike.  In between I noticed a woman, with her eyes closed (actually, rolled back in her head is more accurate) and hands raised, a man that I THINK was dancing but it looked more like he was having convulsions and another girl that would nod her head after each round of the chorus was performed.  Needless to say I think I was more mentally exhausted than physically exhausted by the time it was all said and done.

Like I said. 
Spinners are WEIRD.

5 comments:

  1. OMG yes I'm a spinner but I abstain from the classes aka the teachers with psycho music. I got lucky here and have a kick ass teacher who plays all top 40 jams and it's amazing I feel like I'm at the club burning up thousands of calories but I'm spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that experience is what I avoid too! I was lucky and had possibly the best spin teacher in the entire world. She even opened the radio up to the class and let us make our own playlists. It was fun! I made a country music playlist, breaking it up was great.
    Good luck next class, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. I have never been to a spin class...I'm way too lazy. Not sure how I would be have been able to contain myself being in this one though - no idea how you didn't fall off the bike from laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, let's talk about the creepy man that teaches my 5:30 AM spin class, shall we? He regularly says "Oh, oh, oh, ohhhhhhhh yes. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. Pedal HARDER...HARDERRRRRRR." No kidding. Creeps me the eff out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had me cracking up!

    ReplyDelete