Thursday, January 21, 2010

Two Brothers and a Sister, All After Age 14 ...

Have I ever told you I have a twin brother and sister (well, not MY twin brother and sister, they are actually each others twins) that are 10 years old and a 14 year old brother?  No?  After the age of 14 my life exploded with siblings.  No seriously.  My step-mom, Kristen, who by, the way looks like Jennifer Anniston and has some of the best taste of anyone I've ever met.  Seriously, if we were to go out in public together, people might think I were HER step-mom.  She's a hottie.  Unfortunately she and my brother Will live in Chicago so we don't get to go out in public together anymore, but when we used to it was clear I was the step-child.  Due to my braces (with color-coordinated rubber bands, heck yes), chubbiness, rapper-esque style (yes, serious ... I actually shaved the underneath part of my hair ... you know, so you could see it when I put it in a pony tail?  Awesome.) and insanely frizzy and half curly half straight hair.  Anyways, back to Kristen, when I was 14 she gave birth to my little brother William (Will).  He was a blue-eyed blonde-haired little angel of a baby AND, for the record, I thought he was mine.  I was seriously so possessive of that little muffin.  I'm sure Kristen didn't mind it because every time I came over to my dad's house on the weekends I'd want to change his diapers, put him to bed, put on his clothes, get him out of bed in the morning, feed him ... pretty much do any and everything that she'd let me do.  It was like playing house, but with a real baby.  Which I was still totally into ... anyone else play Barbies until they were 14?  No?  Just me?  Embarassing.  But I also believed in Santa until I was 13.  Yes I just admitted that.  And If I have anything to say about it, my kids will too.  Oh, the days when children were filled with such innocence and naiveity.  Unfortunately, since it was 14 years ago, I don't have any sweet baby pictures of Will digitally but here are some of him within the past few years.  I wish I got to see him more, it seems like everytime I do he's twice the size he was when I saw him the last time.  I love you Willito.


2 years ago with Will and my dad at my brother and Silly's rehearsal dinner.



Last year, age 13.



This year at Christmas with two of my bros.  He's officially bigger than me.  I'm officially a munchkin.



Okay, now onto the twins.  I will never forget the morning my mom and step-dad told Clay and I they were expecting.  I was 18, a senior in high school, which would've made Clay a sophmore I think?  Or maybe a freshman?  I don't know, he was 15.  Clay and I were sitting at the breakfast table, both of us in the trance like state that is waking up in the morning when you're in high school.  Slurping our cereal (mainly Clay, he would always slurp each bite he took which made me want to steal his spoon and slap him with it it drove me so nuts) and staring off into the distance pretending to watch TV.  My mom walks up with Rich (my step-dad) and they put their arms around each other and say "Guys, we have something to tell you" ... Clay and I both look at them like you do when you're a teenager and your parents say anything that you think might possibly embarass you and await the news.  Then, "We're pregnant!" pops out of my mom's mouth and I'm pretty sure I dropped my spoon, and quite possibly my face, in my cereal bowl.  Clay and I just stared at them in a drunken-like stupor, jaws on the floor, eyes wide open and THEN my mom says "AND it's twins" ... I'm sorry, WHAT?  When did ... ?  How did ... ?  Nevermind, PLEASE, for the love of all things that are holy, don't answer either of those questions ... at which point I'm starting to think about the possible answers to those questions ... lalalalalalalalalalalalalala, GO AWAY!  This all (even the horror of those thoughts), however, resulted in the coolest thing EVER.  I got to watch my mom, my best friend, at age 18, go through pregnancy.  She was the cutest little 46 year old (sorry mom, hope you're okay that I just outed your age) pregnant woman you've ever seen.  I will never forget when we found out the sex of the babies.  My mom is my BEST friend, always has been, always will be, and we found out she was having one girl and one boy.  And I reverted back to age 5 and threw a miniature pouting fit.  I didn't want a GIRL.  My mom was MY best friend and she already HAD one girl.  That was all she needed!  And I didn't want to share her (really, 18?  REALLY?).  And I had 2 brothers at this point, I KNEW what to do with boys!  But then, when I went to a sonogram with my mom and we were watching the screen (still in my brat pouty mode ... did I mention I was 18? ... ridiculous Kate) and I saw this large black hole appear and then shut around one of the babies on the screen.  I asked the doctor what it was and he said "Oh that was your sister, she just yawned." and my eyes teared up, and that was it.  She had me wrapped around her finger (and still does, they both do for that matter) from that day on.  My mom also had the funniest cravings.  She was addicted to AMC.  I swear she watched black and white movies all day long, well mainly when she was put on bed rest.  And slurpies.  And Burger King burgers.  She sure did carry those babies 38 weeks and you can bet your patootie that she waddled her pregnant self to my high school graduation, at Texas Stadium (yes, I went to the hugest high school ever, 1600 in my graduating class), in the HEAT of summer in Texas, 1 month before the babies got here.  I have the greatest (and really hot also I might add) mom ever.  So here are some pictures of the twinkies.


They are probably 1 1/2 here (with my step-dad, awesome hair Richie) are they not the CUTEST!?!  Did I mention my sister has blue eyes and my brother has brown?



Oh and one of the perks of having a twin little brother and sister?  Built in flower girl & ring bearer.  This is my MOH dancing with my brother at our wedding ...



And my mom holding a sleepy little flower girl (see I told you she was hot, my mom I mean) ...



At their 10th birthday last July.



At my mom's birthday last June.



And there you have my after age 14 sibling explosion.  And my life is richly blessed because of it.  Thanks to my parents for making all these beautiful babies ... nope still not okay with that visual.  Ew, sick, ack, gag.  I love all 3 of you munchkins, sorry Will you'll always be a munchkin in my eyes.  Even if you are bigger than me.

13 comments:

  1. That was so sweet! They are all so cute - you are a lucky girl to have a huge family! Mine is huge, too, lots of stepsiblings. In fact, two stepbrothers named Jonathan, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! You are going to be a GREAT mom - you have lots of experience!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! It makes me happy that you love your brothers and sister even though that are much younger than you. That's how it will be with Mitch and Julia (mark's kiddos) when we have a child. I hope they develop the kind of relationship you have!

    Precious blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh.. I am so glad you posted this. My oldest son is 16 and I have a two and three year old as well. I didn't know how he would handle it but he was so excited when we told him. He has always wanted a little brother! I hope they continue to have close relationships like you do with you siblings.
    You all look so much alike, what a BEAUTIFUL family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I'm so glad this was an encouragement to you in both of your situations. Having little brothers and a sister "later" (i.e. after age 8 or so) is SO much fun. I think it really helps the older ones with responsibility and in the long LONG run, helps them in the future when they're going to be parents! Your step kids or older kiddos will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/21/2010

    LOVE your blog.......now following:). Feel free to head over and check out mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun...younger siblings! I would love that! To be a senior and find out your mom was preggers???? CRAZY!!!! And exciting of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the way your write. Such a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a big beautiful family!!

    I love that you admitted your Barbie and Santa secret bc I'm right in there w ya on never wanting to let go of those things. My cousin told me when I was 12 we were too old for barbies and I cried for a week until we could play again. No lie. And I'm never Telling my kids there is so Santa - NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was the sweetest post ever. it's insane how beautiful your family is...every single person in that clan is gorgeous! gonna have some great looking offspring, yourself :) family rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, you officially win the award for having the most gorgeous family ever! And can I just go ahead and tell you that I am soooo jealous that you have a big family! I'm an only child AND an only grandchild (yeah...my family tree kinda shriveled up and died or something...), and I would just love to have tons of siblings! (Well, I say that now, but at 26, I may flip out of one of my parents decided to reproduce this late in the ballgame!) I just love reading about your fabulous life, girlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are all TOO SWEET! I am so blessed to have a huge (and this isn't even the half of how huge) family. They make life sweeter for SURE! And I agree, they are all pretty cute, but I'm a LITTLE biased. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Next time you talk to Clay you will have to tell him you follow Jordan Lugar's sisters blog!!! AND, we would be more than just blog friends if I was in Dallas because we are too flipping similar!

    ReplyDelete