Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My First Baby Boy ...

Today's post will be short and sweet but I felt it necessary to share this little story about my first baby.  No, not the one currently riverdancing in my belly, the fur baby and second love of my life (I figure the Mister SHOULD come before him right?) Koda.  The night before last, the night after we brought all C's gifts home from the shower, Koda comes bounding down the stairs holding the bear head from C's stuffed animal taxidermy wall with a look of "Momma, LOOK wud I'z got!  Somebuddy's broughts me'z uh bunches of new toyz!  I'z so icksited!  MAH LIFEZ IS COMPLEAT!"  Only to be met with "Koda, NO that's not yours!" from me.  He immediately dropped the bear, tucked his tail between his legs and gave me the MOST disappointed look that simultaneously broke my heart.  Then I hear a yell from upstairs, in the general vicinity of where the Mister was, "What happened?" to which I reply "Koda brought one of Caleb's toys down from his room."  The Mister then asks me to show him which toy to which I reply "Sugar, don't be too hard on him he didn't know those aren't for him, they look like dog toys, it's not his fault he wanted to play with one."  He then calls Koda to come upstairs to where we are and shows him the toy in question while telling him no, teaching him that the toy is not, in fact, his like he seemed to think when he originally came bounding down the stairs.  At this point I feel really, REALLY bad and as soon as it's been long enough to not confuse him I grab ahold of my Koda bear and pretty much attack him with kisses, hugs and praises telling him he's a good boy, momma loves him, it's not his fault and that it was okay because he didn't know.  He, of course, rolled on his back to absorb any and all belly rubs he could get out of me.  All I know is this is going to be hard on this momma who's first baby is a furball with four legs and a slobbery tongue.  I mean how can you not absolutely turn to MUSH with this face?




So for now, all of Caleb's stuffed animals are residing in one of his dresser drawers until his crib, glider and the rest of his room are put together and we have a home for his objects of Koda's temptation toys.  And as a result, I MAY or may NOT have gone out and bought my first baby a bag of rawhides to spoil make him feel like the special boy that he is.

21 comments:

  1. Obsessed. . . seriously. . . Obsessed! :-) I love Koda!!!! :-) I think that when we have kids we will just tell them (when they are still in the womb) you drop it, you loose it. . . I don't think I'll be able to tell the first "children" that those aren't their toys! Gus just slobbers and cuddles with his toys BUT WRIGLEY pulls the stuffing out and decapitates them! The joys we have to look forward to! :-) I am sure you will learn how to balance your love for BOTH of your children! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Koda! I bet he felt so bad when he thought he was in trouble. He'll learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW poor Koda!! I'm sure it will take some adjusting, but Koda will get the hang of it. I would have been upset too, had Dixon done the same thing! (And he SO would have done it too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute is koda! he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like exactly what happened to me!! He will get better..ours is slowly, but surely learning what toys are his & what aren't. =) Hang in there momma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/22/2010

    Poor Koda! He will learn, and don't feel bad! You gotta yell sometimes... even when they are as cute as he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/22/2010

    aww koda! i've never posted on your blog, but have read for a bit and just had to post today. you see, i'm pregnant as well with my first and we have 2 furbabies that are my life right now and i can totally understand. when i found out i was pregnant one of the first things i said was "what about the dogs?" and even more of a coincidence, one of ours is named koda too! (but she's a girl and a basset hound, so very unlike your koda bear!) i'm looking forward to seeing your transition to a family of 4!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Koda is just too sweet :) I know how it is having a dog and treating it like your baby! I bet he'll be a great big brother to Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! What a sweetie!! Poor boy!! That's so good that you disciplined him and then showed him love afterward. Our pups need the love!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww Koda Bear! He totally was in doggy heaven with those toys mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. he is so sweet!!! he and my Chloe would make the CUTEST couple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha so cute! My puppy (who rest his soul just had to be put to sleep) liked to try all of the babies toys, diapers, cream, etc out. That didn't end well for him, so I suggest hiding any and all of those temptations!!

    Koda knew the right town for him thought haha, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Koda Bear!! Lucy has the same toy ... I call it her bar bells... :) :)

    Hope you are well!!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katie!!! I hope you read your comments because I just found your blog, through a friend's links...It's pretty ironic that my name is Ashlie Fulmer and I'm 31 weeks Pregnant too! Our baby boy is due November 20th =) We also just adopted a baby from Ethiopia! Check out our blog at: www.fulmerstory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel the same way about my sweet baby (my only baby;)), koda-bug!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9/22/2010

    Aww poor Koda. :( I understand how you feel. It's sooo hard for me to say no to my little furbaby, and I'm worried she won't handle all the new baby things too well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a sweet story...sweet Koda. I totally know what you are going through. To be honest, the only times I ever cried during my pregnancy were over my two fur-kiddos. I was devestated to think about them having to adjust and not getting as much attention. Just an FYI...they now LOVE our lil' guy, and get to enjoy 'family' activities together. And I would be lying if I didn't say that we don't still experience some 'toy confusion' around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute is he?! Just look at those puppy dog eyes :) My pup has the same toy, only in the mini version since she's so small haha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't they make your heart melt?! No matter how much you yell at them and discipline them, they immediately perk back up for some lovins! Yesterday, it rained all day & we were laying around the house. Costa would get up and walk over to my couch & give me the "please love on me!" look, then walk over to my husband, do the same thing, and then come back to me again. All afternoon. You just can't help but love on them when they give you "the look".

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9/28/2010

    Hahah-I think we're meant to be friends! I've felt the.exact.same.way when it comes to my dogs and I spoil them to death. My little boy, Max, pouts just like Koda when he's in trouble and usually ends up with lots of extra attention and a new toy from me just because I feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete